13 August 2013

Holiday stories-The story of the lighthouse

Each evening whilst we were on holiday we would get the map out and plan the next days adventure.
We were camping next to a lovely dutch family and they suggested that we visit the lighthouse at St Mathieu. 

The next day we piled into the car and set off to find it. 
This was what greeted us. Pretty impressive lighthouse don't you think. 
The lighthouse is built next to the ruins of the abbey. Before it was built the monks would light a fire on the headland to warn ships of the dangers of the rocks. 

Now I was pretty content just looking at this beautiful structure but then we found out that for a couple of euros we could climb up it. 
I was so excited, not least because of the photo opportunities! 
What I didn't count on was the wind and the effects that would have on my skirt I was wearing. 

All was well as we climbed the stone spiral staircase. When we came to the metal ladder leading up the lamp the problems started. 
Imagine if you will me clinging to this ladder, half way up with a skirt billowing around me, trying to hold onto that and my dignity. Thankfully it was only the boy at the bottom of the ladder or it could have been far more embarrassing. 

Things got worse as we stepped through the door to the top balcony. Crowds of people looking out at the view and me with my skirt nearly at my ears.


The result was that I admired the incredible scenery pressed up against the ledge with the boy pressed up behind me, both of us holding my skirt down.

To move we had to crab shuffle around the outside, him still holding the back of my skirt and me the front. 
Photography was a bit of an issue as holding anything with two hands would have displayed "next weeks washing" to the assembled tourists. In the end, I held the phone with one hand and he pressed the button with the other. 

I guess most people come away from visiting St Mathieu lighthouse with memories of a fantastic view and crashing waves. I came away cursing my choice of clothing and feeling incredibly thankful that the boy saw the funny side. 


11 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Oh Abi....you have made me smile this afternoon...he really wouldn't be the man for you if he didn't see the funny side,would he?!!!
And the lighthouse is magnifique!

Lea Lacoste said...

awesome story, lucky you weren't alone (that might have happen to me more than once lol)
love that lighthouse! (i wanted to live in one when i was a kid, like literally obsessed with it!)

Jo.C said...

This made me laugh so much as D spent our holiday away in much the same vein. we walked to Dunstaburgh Castle and she was the only one with a skirt on :0)
Great shots though!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Haha - great story, Abi. You've left me smiling, and I'm really glad you are able to see the humor (rather than horror) in it as well. :o)

Amy said...

Yes, I've had a little smile today too - thank goodness it wasn't crowded!
Lovely, lovely photos :)

Sian said...

Lovely story! I love that demure phrase "next weeks washing" :)

Beverly said...

I could totally visualize this lol The Boy really is a keeper. A tropical storm was passing by on the wedding weekend of the Beast and SweetGirl. In the rehearsal photos in every photo she is holding her dress down. Since the wedding was outside everyone's hair is blowing in the wind :)

alexa said...

Beautifully and sweetly told - and you are clearly made for each other! I love that photo of the grasses and the sea behind - just stunning.

Alison said...

I could have done with The Boy as I stood by the side of the motorway on Monday...trying to keep my dress under control wasn't at all easy!
Alison xx

Maria Ontiveros said...

Abi, Thanks for making me chuckle today!!! What a delightful story and thanks for sharing it.
Rinda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the chuckles this morning. Those are some great pictures considering the way they were taken. :)